What is Modern Setup Host Exe file on my computer? Is it a virus or a useful program? Should I keep it or uninstall it? If you are also worried about the same matter, then this guide will help you out. Know the complete details about what is Modern Setup Host is and then decide what you should do with it.
A lot of Microsoft Windows PC users have found a file named “modernsetuphost.exe” in their Task Manager. The users would have neglected the file if it appeared normal. However, most Windows users have reported that this “Modern Setup Host” file was using more than half of the CPU and also the disk.
Now, due to excess CPU and permanent storage usage, the PC may also become slow and inefficient. If only one program, that too you are not so familiar with, is eating up a lot of CPU resources, then your instinct will automatically point to a virus. Want to know what exactly is this file and how to deal with it? Read below.
- 1 What Is Modern Setup Host In Windows 10
- 2 4 Methods To Fix Modern Setup Host High CPU Usage
What Is Modern Setup Host In Windows 10
Modern Setup Host or Setuphost.exe is one of the core components of the Windows operating system that is developed by Microsoft. This program is responsible for preparing your PC to download and install Windows updates. This program acts as a self-extracting installer and archive file. Windows OS automatically installs the Setuphost.exe installation file on your device. You will find this file in every Windows device irrespective of its operating system and bit version.
The Modern Setup Host file runs in the background and you won’t be able to see it preparing your device for installation and finishing the installation smoothly. You can find this Setup Host file in the “Windows.BT” folder. Whenever you are installing a Windows update, the Setuphost.exe file starts running in the device background and ensures a successful installation of the update. Without a Modern Setup Host program, you cannot install any Windows update on your device.
Is Modern Setup Host File Safe
Modern Setup Host is developed by Microsoft and comes pre-installed with your Windows operating system and which is why it is absolutely safe. It is an essential program to run your Windows device properly and to update the operating system without any interruptions. Unless and until your device has been attacked by an outsider, it is pretty much sure that the Modern Setup Host file is safe.
But, you can’t really notice if your computer was attacked by malware or virus. Most unofficial sites and third-party illegal sites try to install malware or spyware in your computer in the disguise of a Modern Setup Host. Since it is a core component of Windows, most users won’t notice. This is why the hackers may choose the Setuphost.exe file as a host to install malware on your device. Making sure whether your Modern Setup Host file is safe or not is very important.
How To Check If Setuphost.exe Is Safe
If your Setuphost.exe file is taking up a lot of CPU and disk resources, then it is a problem to be fixed. First of all, run a complete antivirus scan to know if the file is safe or not. To check if the Setuphost.exe file is safe or not, follow these steps.
- Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- Now, go to the “Modern Setup Host” process and right-click on it.
- From the given options, click on the “Properties” menu.
- Go to the “Details” tab and check the “Copyright” details. It has to be Microsoft Corporation if the file is legit.
- Next, click on the “Digital Signatures” tab and check “Name of signer”. It should be Microsoft Windows.
- If both the details are correct, then it means your Modern Setup Host is perfectly fine. But, if you see any other name, it means it is a duplicate file.
Why Is Modern Setup Host Using High CPU
Following are some of the major reasons why your Setup Host file may use a lot of CPU resources.
- If a third-party site has installed malware with the name “Modern Setup Host”, then it is sure that malware will take a lot of CPU and disk.
- Downloading or installing incompatible storage files is also a reason. If you installed a few higher-capacity storage files that are not compatible with the disk, then it can cause this problem.
- If your device has any application or file that is infected with a virus, then it can affect other files.
Can I Delete Modern Setup Host
If you have an original Setup Host file on your Windows PC, then you can’t delete it. But, if you are having malware disguising itself as the Setuphost.exe file, then get rid of it immediately. Most times, the Windows Setuphost.exe installer starts lagging and keeps running in the background due to software glitches. This can cause Modern Setup Host high CPU usage even if there is no virus. In such cases, you can’t delete this installer. It is an important component of Windows without which your computer won’t be able to install any updates.
4 Methods To Fix Modern Setup Host High CPU Usage
You can’t delete the Setuphost.exe file just because it is causing high CPU usage. Without this file, you won’t be able to install any Windows updates. Therefore fixing the problem is needed when your Setuphost file is using a high CPU. Follow the methods given below to fix the Setup Host file issue.
1. Run DISM & SFC Scan
Follow the steps given below to run the DISM and System File Checker scans on Windows.
- Open the Command Prompt as administrator from the Start menu.
- Now, type these commands one by one and press Enter after each command.
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Once you have finished executing all the commands, restart your PC.
- Now, open Task Manager and check if the high CPU usage issue is fixed.
2. Clean Boot Windows
A clean boot on Windows is one of the best ways to fix the Modern Setup Host error. Follow the steps given below to perform a clean boot on Windows.
- Right-click on the Start menu and open the “Run” window.
- Now, type the “msconfig” command in this box and press Enter.
- In the “General” tab, click on “Selective startup”. Unselect “Load startup items”.
- Next, go to the “Services” tab and check the box for “Hide all Microsoft services”.
- Click on the “Disable all” button.
- Then, go to the “Startup” tab and click on “Open Task Manager”.
- Here, right-click on each process and click on “Disable”.
- Go back to the Services window and save your changes. Restart the PC to let the changes apply.
3. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Follow the steps given below to run the Windows update troubleshooter on your computer.
- Right-click on the Start menu and open the Settings window.
- Now, click on “Troubleshoot” and find the “Windows Update” section.
- Click on the “Windows Update” option and select “Run the troubleshooter”.
- If the Troubleshooter finds any issues, click on “Apply this fix” to solve the issue.
4. Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder
Deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder on your Windows PC is another best method to fix the Setup Host issue. Follow the steps given here.
- Right-click on the Start menu and open the “Run” window.
- Now, type the “softwaredistribution” in this box and press Enter.
- Copy the files present in this folder and paste them into any other folder.
- Then, delete the SoftwareDistribution folder and restart the PC.
- The Modern Setup Host high CPU usage issue will be fixed.
We hope you got to know what Modern Setup Host is, why is it showing up in Task Manager, and how to deal with it. Run a complete scan for your PC and get rid of the malware and viruses from your computer. If your Modern Setup Host file is causing a lot of CPU usage or disk usage, then use the methods that are given here. For more useful guides visit Akamsremoteconnect.me Website and know more from us.